Talk:Emergency communication

From Amateur-radio-wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Do we need to put "organisations" after each country? Is it likely that a country would have 2 emergency organisations? -- G7VRD 18:29, 15 June 2008

Some do have a second organisation, which operates under different regulation with a limited number of stations because of ties to civil defence or military support. For instance, Canada and the US have some version of ARES employing any available station in time of disaster, but also have CFARS (Canadian Forces amateur radio service) or MARS (US military amateur radio service) which use amateur radio equipment on frequencies and callsigns not otherwise open to all amateur users. The US also has RACES (radio-amateur civil emergency service, a civil-defence operation with specific licensing requirements) under jurisdiction of state civil-defence agencies. In California alone, "Auxiliary Communications Services" (ACS) as an umbrella term for all communications-related volunteer organizations becomes a program identifier of RACES, ARES, REACT, CAP, MARS, RCU, DCS and any other volunteer-based telecommunications organization.[1] The list of emergency-related services is a long one.[2] --carlb 23:10, 13 September 2009 (CDT)