It’s a good idea if you want to get a radio for your garage. Some people might find it futile to have a radio in a noisy environment, but it is a significant improvement. Listening to music or anything you love on the radio in your workshop makes you work harder and more efficiently.
A good workshop radio can handle everything, including the harshest environment. If you’re looking for one, we’re glad to inform you that most garage radios are shockproof, water-resistant, and dustproof to withstand anything harmful.
Below we’ll take you through some of the best garage radios on the market. Their features vary; hence, you’ll pick one that will complement your workshop.
Best Garage Radio Comparison Chart 2021
PORTER-CABLE Bluetooth Speaker & Garage Radio
12.38 x 6 x 5.63 inches
Sangean LB-100 Ultra Rugged Compact Garage Radio
11.8 x 9 x 7.3 inches
Bosch Bluetooth Power Box Garage Stereo
34.29 x 34.29 x 34.29 cm
DEWALT Bluetooth Workshop Radio & Speaker
4.06 x 8.56 x 5.81 inches
Milwaukee 2890-20 Dual Chemistry M18 Jobsite Radio
7.2 x 15.7 x 7.2 inches
Ryobi P746 One+ Dual-Powered Garage Stereo System
16.06 x 7.95 x 7.6 inches
Makita RM02 Compact Garage Radio
3.4 x 5.9 x 11.4 inches
Best Garage Radio Reviews 2021
1. PORTER-CABLE Garage Radio & Bluetooth Speaker
- Two high quality speakers with an equalizer feature
- Bluetooth compatibility to stream music from any smart device
- AM/FM/AUX - 12 presets to save favorite radio stations, and AUX mode allows MP3 play
The toughness of Porter-Cable PCC771B Bluetooth Radio gives it an edge as it matches a garage, making it a perfect choice. Just like most modern garage radios, this decent unit has outstanding features to ensure you’re satisfied.
We chose it for several reasons, and one of them is that it allows you to use either an AC adapter or the battery pack inside. With 1Ah to 4Ah cells, you can use the radio an entire day without any worry of them cutting you short. Any available battery pack will work perfectly fine as long as it is fully charged.
Another reason is that you can easily save your best AM/FM radio stations using its 12 channel presets for later access. Thus, next time you switch the radio, you don’t have to fiddle with the tuner. Moreover, if you’re not familiar with radio programming, you can use an external MP3 player with the help of an auxiliary jack.
It has a sufficient volume from the two front-facing speakers that produce excellent sound quality. We like this feature because you won’t experience any wavering, even at full blast volumes. You also have the freedom to adjust to your preferred tone using the equalizer function. And if you wear thick gloves while working, the radio has huge labeled buttons for easy tuning.
We’re also pleased with the radio’s antenna, which has the digital scan/seek feature. It makes digital tuning possible because you can tune an incoming signal just like with today’s most higher-end and portable radios.
Our biggest disappointment is that the radio has a very fragile power card/adapter. It is very thin for something meant for a harsh environment like a Jobsite. The unit also lacks a USB port for you to charge other gadgets, but it’s a minor flaw. Otherwise, you might find the porter cable model as the perfect selection to meet your preferences.
All-inclusive, this is an excellent and compact radio that genuinely belongs in the garage. While it has a few flaws, there are plentiful benefits like auxiliary and Bluetooth inputs and powerful equalizer functions and speakers. Operating this radio is also a breeze because nothing about it is complicated. It is precisely what you might be seeking in a garage radio.
- Easy to use- it has large labeled buttons for smooth operation
- Includes powerful speakers and an equalizer function- produces fantastic sound quality
- Provides auxiliary and Bluetooth inputs- you can connect with other devices
- Has an excellent and compact design- suitable for any workplace
- You can use battery packs or an AC adapter- it is a flexible radio
- The power card/adapter is fragile- it is thin
- Lacks USB ports- doesn’t allow you to charge other gadgets
2. Sangean LB-100 Ultra Rugged Compact AM / FM Garage Radio
- Rugged Industrial Grade Digital PLL Synthesized AM / FM Radio with 10 Station Memory Presets (5 AM, 5 FM) and Dynamic Loudness
- Rain Resistant to JIS4 Standard, Dust and Shock Resistant with Rubber Shock-Blocks
- Compact Roll-Cage Protective Design Resists Impacts and Drops while Remaining Highly Portable, Rugged Rotary Tuning and Volume Controls with Durable ABS Plastic Body
Sangean LB-100 (lunchbox) compact radio is incredibly impressive for any worksite, including those who operate indoors and outdoors. It offers the features you might be looking for. The radio has quality sound and a protective design to resist shock, rain, and dust. Besides, you might find its convenient functions quite interesting.
We like the construction of this Ultra Rugged Compact AM / FM Radio because it can resist shock and rain. Therefore, you can operate even on rainy days if you have an outdoor garage without any worry.
It has ruggedized tuning knobs for longevity, making it a dependable radio. The speaker is of high-quality and provides full-range sound, which is sufficient even in the loudest environment. If you’re planning your outside job, this rugged compact is ready to take you on any outdoor escapade.
The LCD display feature shows the current time and the station you’re tuned into at the moment. Besides, this LCD screen measures 2.24 by 0.98 inches with a backlight for easy and excellent visibility even across the garage. Backlighting is also essential as it helps the LCD to illuminate its respective pixels from behind.
Another noticeable feature of the lunchbox is its built-in cable tie. You can easily and quickly roll up the long rubber cable on the unit’s back to avoid tripping while moving around in the garage. So, the manufacturer had you in mind before constructing this radio.
While it has a high-quality sound, putting a high volume may result in distortion and crackling. It is relatively expensive compared to other Sangean radios- but the features are worth the value.
Furthermore, the radio is simple yet bulky and heavy to carry around, especially when you’re going for outdoor jobs.
Generally, this radio is strongly recommendable to anyone searching for the ideal model for use in a harsh or noisy environment due to its durable and robust material. It is super easy to operate, and if you’re a lover of music while working, you will find it helpful.
- It is built with a rigid material to resist dust, shock, and rain
- Has an easy to read LCD display
- The functions of the radio are simple and convenient- You can easily access your favorite station
- Its built-in cable tie prevents tripping
- Not great for portability – it is heavy and bulky
- A high volume is not so good- could result in crackling and distortion
3. Bosch Bluetooth Power Box AM/FM Garage Stereo
- Bluetooth: The Bosch PB360C Job site Radio features Bluetooth connectivity to pair with smart devices, stream internet radio and stored music with range of up to 150 feet, giving you more job site freedom
- Stereo Sound: Includes Four way speakers and a subwoofer to project 360 degrees of outstanding sound quality in all directions; Includes separate controls for bass and treble and equalizer customization; USB charging port with 5 volt /1.0 Amp rating for charging Apple and other phones and devices works when Power Box is powered by a 120V AC outlet or by a Bosch battery
- Durability : Featuring a protective aluminum and rubber roll cage and a weather resistant and dust resistant design
If you are looking for flexibility, superb ergonomics, power, and value, you might want to take a look at this radio. The appearance only is power tool-inspiring, and that caught our attention, and we believe you’ll love it as well.
The radio has a Bluetooth speaker to pair with your smartphone or any other device with a Bluetooth connectivity feature. As long as you are within the range of 150 feet, you cannot lose the connectivity when walking around with your smartphone is in the pocket.
Unlike other regular workshop radios, this unique unit from Bosch produces sub-par sound quality. The music is loud and clear, thanks to its built-in subwoofer and four-way speakers. You can listen to your favorite music from any corner of the garage as the speakers of this radio spreads it in all directions.
We like the metal construction of the radio because it is a good sign of toughness and durability. It will serve you probably until the day of purchase comes out of your memory. It can absorb shock efficiently with its tough rubber bumpers and also resist dust and harsh weather conditions.
It also features the ability to power other devices with its 120-Volt AC outlet. Therefore, if you have additional tools and gadgets that might need to be charged, then this is the ideal radio for that purpose. You can easily connect them to the power outlets for things to keep running, thanks to its in-built battery charger.
The only thing we didn’t like about the radio is the media compartment because it is too small to fit some phones. Although it’s an excellent fit for earlier iPhone models, it doesn’t seem to accommodate today’s larger Apple and Android devices.
Bosch is definitely the best and most accessible overall combination. It has incredible features that will blow your mind away, especially if you like listening to crystal clear content. The radio offers first-rate sound quality to play your preferred music selection from your smartphone using Bluetooth connectivity.
- Excellent Sound quality- you can listen to your music from all directions
- Strong and durable- features a protective aluminum, with a weather and dust resistant design
- Portable- has multiple handles to take it with you wherever you go
- Superb Bluetooth connectivity- gives you the freedom to pair with smart devices
- Has power outlets to charge other devices- your smartphone won’t stay off while on the move
- The media compartment is pretty small- it does not accommodate most modern phones
- A bit heavy- some may find it bulky
4. DEWALT Bluetooth Workshop Radio & Speaker
- Dual speakers for rich stereo sound
- Bluetooth connectivity - 100ft range
- Convenient carry handle with phone holder
DEWALT DCR010 Bluetooth Jobsite Speaker will surprise you because it is tough enough for environments like workshops, garages, and construction sites. It will make your day better as you can stream your preferred podcasts or music from your smartphone through Bluetooth connectivity even when you’re 100 ft. away. By merely looking at DEWALT DCR010, we could tell it’s not a regular transistor radio.
Some of the features that made us include this radio in our list are the large buttons, rigid ABS plastic enclosure, and hardened rubber bumpers. So, it is genuinely designed to endure a harsh environment. You can operate the button controls even with your thick gloves and prevent any shock due to its resistant material.
We did not only like this radio’s durability due to its substantial material construction, but also its brilliant sound quality caught our attention. The radio features two powerful front-facing speakers that produce a clear sound. Not forgetting, you can add an extra deep-toned using a bass reflex port. But it all depends on how you want to listen to your music.
Another feature that we found interesting is that this job site radio allows you to connect your device via Bluetooth to stream or play saved music. And there is nothing to worry about the Bluetooth connectivity range because it works very well even beyond a hundred-foot. The radio also has an auxiliary jack as an alternative.
That’s not all; this radio is very convenient. It allows you to directly play MP3 audios from your phone or charge your other devices by simply plugging a cable into the USB port. Besides, it has a perfectly engineered handle with a slot on the top where you can put your phone either horizontally or vertically to charge.
The biggest flaw with this garage radio is that it is only a Bluetooth speaker and not a radio tuner. So, if you’re a potential user, we found it essential to remind you that you’ll not be able to access radio stations. The lack of a built-in charger is also another negative. However, the rest of the features qualifies for a job site.
Al in all, this is a great Bluetooth speaker radio with a reasonable range. You will also love its tremendous loud sound that has a great bass to add some taste. Although the unit lacks a radio tuner, which most people look for in a radio, features like shock-resistant and durability seamlessly match a garage.
- Has a topnotch sound quality- the speakers are quite powerful
- Provides auxiliary, Bluetooth, and USB connectivity- allows you to connect with other devices
- The buttons are large and clearly labeled- for smooth operation
- The handle has an integrated slot- where you can place your phone while charging
- It is shock-resistant and water/dustproof- great for harsh environments
- Doesn’t have a radio tuner- strictly supports Bluetooth speaker
- Lacks a built-in charger- uses rechargeable batteries only
5. Milwaukee 2890-20 Dual Chemistry M18 Jobsite Radio
- CHARGE YOUR DEVICES: Keep your phone tucked into the back of the radio and out of harm’s way. Smart phones can be kept in the special onboard compartment that’s loaded with a 2.1A USB charging port
- SHOCK ABSORBING END CAPS: This radio is built to last, with the rubberized end pieces able weather drops and other impacts regularly found on the jobsite
- DIGITAL AM / FM TUNER: You can have up to 10 presets stored on this radio at once, letting you and your crew keep your favorite stations stored for easy access
The appearance of Milwaukee 2890-20 M18 Jobsite Radio alone can tell how tough it is to work in any kind of situation without fail. It is coated with a thick, robust ABS plastic and has hard rubber pads capped at the ends to prevent shock. Therefore, the robustness of this radio clearly shows that the manufacturer had longevity in mind.
It has a 2.1A USB charging port to ensure your devices are always on whenever you need them. Since a garage can be so messed up with every sort of tool everywhere, you can keep your phone away from harm by tucking it into the back of the radio. While smartphones are the most fragile, there is a special onboard compartment to keep them safe.
As we mentioned earlier, this radio has rubber caps at the ends to absorb shock. It is constructed to last due to its ability to resist regular impacts common in a garage. Thus, every time you’re working, you’ll have peace of mind knowing that nothing could complicate its functionality.
We admire the unique stackable design that makes it an outstanding radio. It is rectangle-shaped, a design that allows you to place it in boxes, bags comfortably, and in the car, especially when on the move. Moreover, if you have other additional tools and supplies, you can stack them on top of this strong unit.
The digital AM/FM tuner of this radio is also a noteworthy feature. We believe that you’ll find it intriguing because you can store up to 10 presets on this radio all at once. With this support, you and your workmates can easily access your favorite stations without wasting time. Sometimes it can be annoying to search the stations manually over and over again.
We are disappointed by the fact that this unit does not offer Bluetooth connectivity and battery charging. It would be a big plus if you could connect your smartphone with the radio to stream your favorite music remotely. However, it’s a minor issue that shouldn’t be a stumbling point.
Although Milwaukee doesn’t have Bluetooth, it is a model unit that you might want to consider for your workplace. It has a unique stackable design and a 2.1A USB charging port that you can use as an alternative to Bluetooth. Coupled with other positive points, it is worth the investment.
- Has a USB charging port- to charge other devices
- Includes a compartment to keep your electronic devices- offers a place to keep your phone while charging
- Unique stackable design- makes it easy to load the radio in cars while on the go
- Easy to operate buttons- they are large and labeled
- The design is strong and robust- it can resist shock, water, and dust
- It is a digital AM/FM tuner- stores up to ten presets
- Does not have Bluetooth connectivity- you cannot connect your phone with the radio wirelessly
- No battery charging- you might need to buy new batteries
6. Ryobi P746 One+ Dual-Powered AM/FM Garage Stereo System
- HYBRID POWER SOURCES: You can plug this straight into your wall with AC power (Extension cord not included). Alternatively, you can use 18v Ryobi Lithium Ion or NiCad batteries, so you can listen to your music or news on-the-go, in the shop, or at home
- MULTIPLE LISTENING PLATFORMS: Plug your smartphone or MP3 player into the auxiliary port, listen to AM or FM radio, or connect wirelessly with the onboard bluetooth technology
- CHARGE YOUR DEVICES with the included 2.1 USB port that you can plug compatible smartphones and mp3 players into
If you want to boost the morale at your garage, this Ryobi P746 Stereo System will be the ultimate choice. It is a multipurpose radio as you can play music from your smartphone, an MP3 player, or its AM/FM tuner. Furthermore, it is dual powered to entertain you for hours at your job site.
The stereo system has several outstanding features compared to other garage radios, and that’s why it is on the list as one of the best. It has hybrid power sources. You can either plug it directly into your wall using AC power or use NiCad/ Ryobi Li-Ion (Lithium Ion) batteries. Therefore, no time will come that you won’t listen to your music, even when you’re working outside.
We like the option to use auxiliary or Bluetooth inputs, which allows you to connect your music player or smart device to the radio. Additionally, we also appreciate its in-built tray. You’ll find it quite useful to place your gadgets while charging on the USB port, plugged into the auxiliary jack, or even both.
Also, we found the built-in equalizer as a great addition to the features as it gives you the freedom to adjust your listening experience. We appreciate this little touch because you will save your favorite preset and select from the available equalizer presets. With this radio, you’ll have your own preferences.
Another additional feature that we like is the ability to plug extra speakers. While this is not common in other radios, you can improve sound performance by adding your preferred speakers using the auxiliary function. The job site will not only fill with morale but also the entertainment value will rise.
The only gripe we have about this radio is that it requires a battery pack or an AC extension, which you have to buy separately. Also, the radio does not indicate that it’s water or dust resistant making it a bit delicate to operate in an abusive environment.
Altogether, Ryobi P746 One+ Dual-Powered AM/FM Stereo System is an excellent choice if you’re a fan of music. It has the right set of features, including Bluetooth connectivity, somewhere to place your phone/tablet, and a decent bass that allows you to adjust what you’re listening to. Even though it cannot function without a power cord or battery pack, there are enough benefits.
- Ability to personalize the listening experience- you can adjust the bass to your preference
- It is a hybrid power source- you can either use direct AC power or batteries
- Several listening platforms- allows you to connect your MP3 player or smartphone to the auxiliary port or Bluetooth
- Accommodates extra speakers- helps improve sound performance
- There is a USB port -to charge your devices
- No AC cord extension or battery pack included- requires you to purchase separately
- Not water/dust resistant- might not withstand challenging environments
7. Makita RM02 Compact Garage Radio
- Delivers rich stereo sound from two powerful front facing Speakers
- Up to 30 hours of continuous use with 4.0Ah battery BL1041B (battery and charger not included)
- 10 preset FM/AM buttons
While most Jobsite radios are a bit huge, the Makita RM02 12V max CXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Jobsite radio is small in size yet delivers a full, crystal clear, and rich stereo sound. With this radio, you can lavishly enjoy your music for up to 30 hours without breaking down since the battery has 4.0 Ah. Its run time is beyond compare.
We like the RM02’s technology as it is compact and compatible with MP3 and iPod players. It has an auxiliary port that allows you to connect to your smartphone or the mentioned players to listen to some great music while working. The sound quality is incredibly useful because of its two powerful front-facing speakers.
It is equipped with a rotating hook, which we find quite convenient as you can hang the radio somewhere safe in your garage. You might find this feature useful, especially if your worksite has busy surfaces that are always stacked with tools and other electronics. Hanging it will prevent any harm or possible damages.
We also appreciate the 12V max CXT, giving you a more compact solution with more capacity and more comfort. It is equipped with slide style lithium-ion batteries to provide you with superior comfort and ergonomics. For maximum convenience, the batteries also allow go-to tools like a drill and driver to support themselves.
Moreover, the radio offers a three-year warranty, and it is thoroughly tested and inspected before leaving the factory. In case you’re not satisfied with this Makita radio or found it faulty within 30 days of purchase, you can simply return it, and the manufacturer will provide a refund or replacement. Everything, including the charger, power tool, and battery, is warranted.
The only thing we did not like is that you have to buy batteries separately. It is also a bit pricey for its worth. The cost could have been friendly, but it’s a nice and compact unit for use in a busy worksite.
To summarize, Makita produces valuable products, and this radio is a real definition of good quality. You can receive several stations from both AM/FM, and they are crystal clear. Apart from the few downsides, other features make it an ideal radio.
- Has a wide range of channels- available from both AM and FM
- Great convenience- you can hang it using the rotating hook
- Delivers amusing stereo sound- from the two powerful front-facing speakers
- It is portable- a lightweight radio
- Has earphone jack – gives you the freedom of private listening
- Does not include the batteries- you will have to purchase them separately
- Relatively expensive- for its worth
What to consider when looking for the best garage radio
Let’s take a look at some of the things you need to keep in mind when purchasing your dream garage radio. While there are several features to take into consideration, here are some of them:
Sturdy and durable design
since you are looking for a radio to use in an immensely dangerous environment, you need to keep toughness in mind. Worksites like garages have tools everywhere, and they could accidentally hit your radio, crashing it down.
So, the best garage radio should have a rugged construction that can persevere any harm and still produce impressive sounds.
The most significant part of a garage radio is the speaker, and it should have high and large voltage. If you buy a radio with poor speakers, it will only emit noisy sounds, and you’ll definitely not enjoy it. A powerful speaker produces a superb sound that you can hear even from a long distance.
Waterproof and shockproof
A radio built water/shock resistance will not get damaged when it comes to the many hazards in a job site. If your garage is based outside, this feature should be prioritized. You want the radio of your choice to survive against rain. That’s not all; a waterproof radio also provides exceptional protection against most open-air elements.
working in the garage means you’ll be in your thick gloves most times, so you need a radio with effortless management. It is recommendable to avoid tiny buttons and go for large ones that are clearly labeled for easy operation.
you need a radio that you can easily carry around. Therefore, look for one with a nice handle. Cordless garage radios are difficult to move, especially if they are heavy and bulky.
consider buying a radio with at least essential tuning functions like AM/FM. It could also have pretty interesting features like an auxiliary port to plug in your smartphone so that you can listen to your favorite music via speakers. Even better if it has Bluetooth connectivity.
It is essential to consider your budget before buying a product. In most cases, the price of a radio depends on the decency and the benefits it offers. You’ll notice that a radio designed to resist any damages is more costly than the one that doesn’t protect against possible vulnerabilities.
another critical aspect to keep in mind is how long the batteries can last. Ideally, a garage radio should remain active for full work hours. Although battery life may decrease over time, a newly bought radio should have a long-lasting battery.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are all garage radios durable?
Yes, they are meant to operate in the sundry workplace hence built with robust construction. Garage radios can sustain risks in a job site and withstand the roughness resulting from outdoor elements.
Can one change the sound of a garage radio?
While not all radios come with the ability to adjust sound, most models are equipped with an equalizer for that purpose. If you get one with this feature, you can adjust the sound to suit your likings.
How to tell a garage radio is performing correctly?
It’s pretty simple. Listen to the quality of audio output and the effectiveness of the speakers’ sound. Also, a properly functioning radio should have a proficient equalizer to control the sound.
How loud should a garage radio be?
Since a garage is noisy, you need to get a radio with at least 10 watts of power hitting the speakers. The music should be loud enough for you to listen to even when working from the furthest corner of your garage.
Can a garage radio charge a smartphone?
Yes, most garage radios are built with USB ports for you to charge your phone or play MP3 files via the speakers using a thumb drive.
Do garage radios require regular maintenance?
Most job sites or garage radios are built tough and rugged, but that should not prevent you from keeping yours clean. At least take a few minutes to wipe off all the accumulated dust on the top of the radio.
From the discussion above, each radio has exceptional features, and they are all great in different ways. However, PORTER-CABLE Bluetooth Garage Radio excels in terms of durable construction, portability, sound quality, and multiple connectivity options.
While most radios have an AM/FM station tuner and lack Bluetooth connectivity or vice versa, Porter-Cable PCC771BA offers both. Not to mention, it features large labeled buttons making it super easy to use. Along with other positive points, we find this radio a top tier.
Although it does not have USB ports and has a delicate power adapter, other qualities complement a harsh working environment.